#1 BigBlockF-100

BigBlockF-100

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:trucks, classic rock, and food

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:30 PM

my 428 has some timing issues in that I need to resolve as soon as I can. I adjusted the distributor accordingly and it still has problems. My dad mentioned something about timing marks. Would this help?
1968 Ford F-100
428 Large Block engine
3-speed on the floor
31 inch Desert Dog tires
Headers
Glasspack mufflers
100% American

#2 FESuperDuty

FESuperDuty

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Old Fords, (or any old rig for that matter) Fishing, Hunting, Music. Heavily involved in my church. (I'm not a kook, I just love Jesus alot) Heavy Equipment Mechanic. I work out of a service truck.

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:06 AM

On the front of your engine down by the crankshaft toward the passenger side you should find a metal pointer that sticks out over the crank dampener (a thick metal ring on the crankshaft). On this crank dampener, you should find some numbers stamped in (you may have to clean off some crud). The numbers shoud read something like 20 I I I I 10 I I I I 0 I I I I 10 I I I I 20. The zero in the middle is top dead center on #1 in your firing order. The numbers to the right of zero are degrees of advance. The numbers to the left are retard. Typically, this era Ford will run from 6 to 10 degrees initial advance (with the vacuum advance unhooked and plugged. Clean the crannk dampener with some good solvent, then with a white or yellow paint pen, mark the proper timing mark and the edge of the above mentioned pointer. Unhook and plug the vacuum hose going to the vacuum advance (the round thing sticking out of the side of the distributor). Hook up your timing light to #1 cyl. (the front cyl on the passenger side) Loosen the distributor hold down bolt, start the engine and adjust so that the timing light flashes as the two marks are aligned.

#3 72F100

72F100

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

my 428 has some timing issues in that I need to resolve as soon as I can. I adjusted the distributor accordingly and it still has problems. My dad mentioned something about timing marks. Would this help?

break down and buy a manual.... or ask someone who you know is knowledgeable about cars... setting the timing is a relatively simple thing to do.... just hard to explain on a chat module. Ebay has lots of cds and such with autmotive info for sale... search in the Auto section and use the Make/Model/Year boxes on the left, always check the box that says "search in title and description" you will get a lot more results.

#4 fordman64

fordman64

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1975

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

does it have an aftermarket cam? and what are the issues?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users