6 replies to this topic

#1 mudunit77f250

mudunit77f250

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

im thinking about doing some local truck pulls next season and im looking for some tips, advice ect....... i know i need big power and torque (got that covered) and i know im gonna need a stout drivetrain (working on that) but what im looking for is more of the technical info, like what type of gears do you run with what size tires, do you pull in 4hi or 4lo? what did you weigh in at, and did you use any ballast weights ect...... is this same truck the truck you use on the trails??? are there any special modifications you do to the truck that you either add on before pulling (extra antiwrap bar etc.) what type of tire do you run? (ive seen tsl's kick some a$$ where more agressive bogger type tires dug in too deep)
all of my buddies that are into it are running deisels, so they are imo in a totally different world. im going to be using my 79 F150 any help or info is greatly appreciated :)
Rigs
The Lawn Ornament:77 F250, broke 400m, HD D44F, D60R, np435, Divorced 205 and 36x12.5x16.5 TSL's
more pics and info here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393604

The Beast: 79 F150,stout 400m, np435, NP203, HP D44F, 9"R, 35x14.5x15 boggers, no bed, slightly shortened frame, 4" lift with sky shackle mounts more info/pics here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2145548

#2 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

You might want to visit www.truckpulls.com

I found some good tech info there on transfer cases, and there were links to rules, classes, dates, etc.

JSM84
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#3 high in '79

high in '79

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:15 AM

radial always do better than any agressive design for the street class.

#4 cletus

cletus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

i help and work on a pull truck. we pull in the 6500 pro mod. class. the truck is a 79 f350 frame with a 96 body. we run 411 gears although 373 gears work real well if you have the power to pick up wheel speed. i use low four in second gear. we are running a ford motor sport 460 block bored 80 over with a set of aluminum high out put heads. steal crank with chevy rods. we are right at 513 cubic inches. with a little over 900 horses. we have won 3 chapion ships and unknown pulls. wish you all luck, but be prepaird if you get searious about it i hope you have a deep wallet.

Edited by cletus, 29 December 2006 - 09:17 AM.

#5 ol' blew

ol' blew

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:My '76 F-250 3/4 ton Highboy 4x4. It's got a 360 (for now) and a 4-speed.

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

If you are going to get into serious pulling you will have to run serious axles, if you have enough power to turn the wheels in 4-hi that's what I run my truck in ('76 F-250 Hi-boy). You can get more wheel speed that way. As long as you have the drive train to handle it.

#6 off-road mudrunner

off-road mudrunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

you will need bigger axles and engine to compete- i run 460 bored 80 over and 1 1/4 ton axles in mine

#7 BeefyHIBOY

BeefyHIBOY

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

im thinking about doing some local truck pulls next season and im looking for some tips, advice ect....... i know i need big power and torque (got that covered) and i know im gonna need a stout drivetrain (working on that) but what im looking for is more of the technical info, like what type of gears do you run with what size tires, do you pull in 4hi or 4lo? what did you weigh in at, and did you use any ballast weights ect...... is this same truck the truck you use on the trails??? are there any special modifications you do to the truck that you either add on before pulling (extra antiwrap bar etc.) what type of tire do you run? (ive seen tsl's kick some a$$ where more agressive bogger type tires dug in too deep)
all of my buddies that are into it are running deisels, so they are imo in a totally different world. im going to be using my 79 F150 any help or info is greatly appreciated :)

I am Also looking to get into truck pulling next season. I took my pretty much stock 77 ford f-150 with a 351M and 4 speed tranny. I went into the hobby stock. closs 6200# I took 3rd place out of 7 i didnt have enough power for low range 2nd so i ran in low range 1st. very slow but plenty of power. Im already looking to put a 460 in it.... what are some easy things i can do to mod. the 460 for more power? it is out of a 79 f-150 also is a c6 going to work better for pulling or a 4 speed? i had 31" tires on when i pulled and since i havent got the power to take of in low 2nd. im just going to put 35" tires on and run in low 1st. So i will have a little more speed and a little less power.
-Kale

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users