1 reply to this topic

#1 mat

mat

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:13 AM

I have a 2 wheel-drive 1980 F-250 with 300 inline six and 4spd manual with granny gear. The truck has a Dana60/61 rear with 3.54 gears with 32" skinnys. I want to add a locker of somesort. to act like the traction lok in my '70 Torino with 9", to help with off road traction, and traction in the snow.

Is there a locker unit for the Dana 60/61?

Or I go with a mini spool. I'd like to keep it cheap, but ofcourse very reliable and strong, truck is used for work truck as well. Driving around with bed full of riverrocks, etc..

Thanks

mat

#2 BLADE262US

BLADE262US

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Ford there is nothing else =)

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

Theres a big difference between a dana 60 and a 61 I just went through all that with my plow truck the ring and pinion was shot so I got a new one the guy I had setting up the gears calls and says the gears are like 1/4 inch away from even starting to mesh . HMMMMMMM a little investigation and what I had was a dana 61 used primarily for heavy trucks hauling loads down the highway . Well mine was special it had 4:10 ,s most had like 3:55 / 3:35 and even higher . After calling around mine had a dana 60 4:56 carrier and a special thick ring and pinion for a 61 . Because of the cost to repair it vs useing the parts I already had for a 60 I chose to use the 60 I had and the dana power lock and 4:10 ,s . It was really too bad too because that 61 rear end is very heavy duty the tubes have to be about 3 inch in diameter and the inner wheel bearing is alot bigger than a 60 but the outer was the same . If you look on your housing around the webbing it will be cast in there 60 or a 61 , If you do have a 61 a locker is going to be hard to come by with the ratio you have . :D

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users