Photo

1979 F-150 wheel size and backspacing guide?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Troy

Troy

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:79 Fords

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

I just finished installing my 4" lift kit now it's time for wheels and tires. If I go to a 17" or an 18" wheel with 5" backspacing will it interfere with the tie-rod ends? The factory alloys are 15X7 with a 4" backspacing which leaves about 1/2" between the tie-rod ends and the wheel. Has anyone put together a wheel size & backspacing guide for these trucks? I want to know what my options are. Thanks, Troy

#2 Troy

Troy

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

I just test fit my neighbors spair tire on my truck 35X10.5X15. Now I know why everyone runs 15X10 wheels with 3.5 - 3.75" of backspacing. If you get any more backspacing than that the tire will rub on the radius arms when you steer to full lock. I'm amaized at how tight the steering radius is on this truck and the last thing I want to do is to limit it. Bummer, I wanted 17" wheels but I can't find anybody who makes them with the correct offset....

#3 77 crummy

77 crummy

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

I just finished installing my 4" lift kit now it's time for wheels and tires. If I go to a 17" or an 18" wheel with 5" backspacing will it interfere with the tie-rod ends? The factory alloys are 15X7 with a 4" backspacing which leaves about 1/2" between the tie-rod ends and the wheel. Has anyone put together a wheel size & backspacing guide for these trucks? I want to know what my options are. Thanks, Troy

I work at a tire store, i will check tomorrow and get back to you

#4 77 crummy

77 crummy

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

I work at a tire store, i will check tomorrow and get back to you

you should be fine with 4.50 or less. every rd offset wheel i checked was 4.50 or less. find a wheel you like and call the manufacter to check back spacing.

#5 Troy

Troy

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the info 77 crummy,

I'm finding out that these old trucks are designed to have 4" max of wheel backspacing. For real wide tires like a 14.5" on a 10" rim you may even want to go with less backspacing, say 3.5".

Most 15" wheels were originally designed for cars and trucks in the 70's so they all have an available 3.5" or 4" backspacing. My problem is I want 17" wheels which are all designed for more modern trucks that use 4.5" to 5.5" backspacing. I found the solution to this problem though, Wheel adapters!

The wheels I'm buying are Pro Comp 6079 17X9's with 4.75" back spacing so I need 1.25" wheel adapters to achieve the 3.5" backspacing I'm after.

Has anybody used wheel adapters on their trucks before? I'm thinking of getting these ones: http://www.ezaccesso...p/5550-5550.htm

If anyone else is interested in using wheel adapters here is a web site with a real good FAQ page: http://www.skulte.co....php/pages_id/3

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users