4spd to C6 help!!!

5 replies to this topic

#1 BP460

BP460

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

:wacko: I've got my motor about where I want it now, but my trans just won't let me shift fast enough to play with all my buddies and their diesels. I want to swap for a C6 (it's a 4spd now). I was wondering if I can use a regular C6 just change the tail housing or do I need a 4x4 specific trans? Also will my transfer case bolt up or will I be moving it all around? I would like to keep it 4 wheel drive so I can launch harder. It's a 460. I've pulled trannies before and swapped auto for manual in a fox body mustang but that was straight bolt on stuff. Any insite will be greatly appreciated. :D

#2 shiz a flyin

shiz a flyin

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

:wacko: I've got my motor about where I want it now, but my trans just won't let me shift fast enough to play with all my buddies and their diesels. I want to swap for a C6 (it's a 4spd now). I was wondering if I can use a regular C6 just change the tail housing or do I need a 4x4 specific trans? Also will my transfer case bolt up or will I be moving it all around? I would like to keep it 4 wheel drive so I can launch harder. It's a 460. I've pulled trannies before and swapped auto for manual in a fox body mustang but that was straight bolt on stuff. Any insite will be greatly appreciated. :D

I just got done replacing my C6 for a 4-speed I found a donor truck so I don't know if you can convert a 2-wheel C6 to a 4-wheel or not. I have herd rumours that the transfer cases have different splines so I'm not sure there ether. But i do know that your transfer case will sit about 3 1/2" back compered to the 4-speed. My truck had all the holes in the frame so no drilling but I did have to change out the drive lines. By the way what year is your truck? Mine is a 78.

#3 66aqua

66aqua

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

if the c6 was offered from the factory in that year truck, then you should be able to use the correct tail housing and shaft for the tranny/transfercase. btw how bout using a t5 or other mustang manual tranny w/ a divorced tcase? that would be great shifting and 4x4 also. a 205 out of a 70's f250 or 350 would do. w/ some 4.10s and have fun.

Edited by 66aqua, 11 October 2007 - 01:24 PM.

#4 BP460

BP460

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info. My truck is a 1986. I've been looking for a donor truck, but all I find are small block trucks. I'm looking for the quick smooth shifting of a t5 or similar tranny, but my experience with a t5 in a mustang with minor bolt ons was not good. I don't think the t5 would hold up ( not with the way I drive anyway). I'm wondering if a rebuild of my 4spd would help out any? Thanks again for your input.

#5 66aqua

66aqua

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

you wont be able to shift a truck 4 spd. as fast as a car 4spd. how about finding a toploader out of an older mustang or torino?
that would be about bullet proof w/ one of those and a 205 tcase. if you do go w/ a c6, any , small block or bigblock tailhousing will bolt onto either case. im not sure but i think the shaft will have to match the tcase you are using. if you have any other q's, call sidco 4x4 in glenco, mn. do a yellow or white pages search, w/ the town and ask sid. hes a ford guy and knows a lot about this older stuff.

#6 BP460

BP460

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

Thanks I will do that ASAP. :)>-

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users