NEED ADVICE BEST 4 SPEED TRANNY FOR 85 f350 6.9L

1 reply to this topic

#1 3RDOWNER

3RDOWNER

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

I hear rumbling when I let the clutch out on my 85 F350. 6.9L diesel Throw out bearing? Since I am going to take out the tranny, its a rough shifter, and to try to find out the source of rumbling, could someone advise me on an upgrade manual trans and over drive unit. Also, the engine dies when cold if the clutch is let out. When engine is heated it doesn't stop the engine @-) .

Thanks

#2 Bear76

Bear76

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

The throwout bearing should only make noise while the clutch pedal is depressed. If it is making noise upon letting it out then it is one of the following: Warped or severely worn disc, broken springs in the clutch hub or pressure plate, or possibly a bad pilot bearing. A bad disc or worn clutch assembly (disc, pressure plate) or the linkage out of adjustment or alignment (bad body bushings/tranny mounts) can also cause issues with hard shifting.

Seeing as your truck seems to have the 2 problems together, I would venture to say you need to have the clutch assembly replaced. While you have not stated the mileage on the truck or what type of model transmission you currently have, it is hard to give some advice on upgrades.

As far as it stalling out when cold. Do you mean just the engine is cold? Or it is cold outside as well? I live in Central WI, and when it gets way down there (-10 degrees or colder) if I fire up my F-150 and the let out the clutch with it in neutral, it will die right off unless I let it warm up. This is because the gear oil in the trans is so thick and just plain cold that when the clutch is let out, it does still spin the main shaft inside of the transmission, even when not in gear. I guess it such a sudden shock that the motor just cant handle it. Sometimes it will even "jump" for just a second before it starts to stir up the oil inside.
I think though that in your case it is just something binding up and stalling it out, but once the engine warms up it is running too "good" for it to falter.

I hope this helps you out some. Good luck.
Build it.
Beat on it.
Break it.
Build it better.

P.S. Starting fliud is NOT a viable alternative to nitrous.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users