7 replies to this topic

#1 Max666

Max666

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

I have a 78 ford with a 400, i was wondering what can i bore it out to. It is a 2wd truck, Hoping to get atleast 450 hp. can any 1 please help em out?

#2 Cowboy34

Cowboy34

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:car and truck shows,rodeos
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

I have a 78 ford with a 400, i was wondering what can i bore it out to. It is a 2wd truck, Hoping to get atleast 450 hp. can any 1 please help em out?

30 or 60 over 60 being the most

#3 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

boring it out isn't going to make power.A well thought out engine with quality parts will though.
start with some basics like a good tune up.then do one thing at a time so you can easily troubleshoot any probs.I like starting with the ignition.a good distributer is a must.as well as a coil.wires and plugs too.
then move on to the exhaust,good free flowing system with properly sized primary tubes for your rpm/power range.
fuel delivery,can't tell you how many times I see a $200 fuel pump with stock crimped up lines.I'm a big holley fan for the infinate tuneability,but that's me I like to tinker.now adays efi is the way to go.I was reading somewhere how they are retro fitting gm's tbi onto old fords.
don't fall for all the hype about big hp plugs,stockers work great and are cheap.msd ignition are way over rated.
the best way to make power in the 351m/400 engines is to give them some compression and a decent cam.Get the heads milled down,intake too.bringing the engine up to 9:1 from7.5:1 is a drastic improvement.Buy a 262/268 cam install it straight up and she'll rock.you want it a bit meaner throw in a 272/278 cam.
the head flow isn't a problem with these motors,take off the intake and look at the port,it's frikkin huge.

#4 79F-350

79F-350

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

Like someone said,boring it out doesnt make power,it just cleans up the cylinder walls.You'll get about 6 C.I. by doing it.

There are 3 ways to get 450 HP out of a 400...

1)add 2 more 400's
2)rip it out and put a decent engine in it
3)spend a TON of money

These engines were made to comply with strict emmissions in the late 70's-early 80's.They just arent a realistic base for BIG power.Sure it can be done,but it will cost WAY more than if you built a 429,or even a 302/351W.There is just much more available in the aftermarket for those engines,and they are a much more reliable power maker.It makes me laugh when guys say that a 302 or 351W cant make the power to pull their truck.A stock 400 makes 150HP,a stock 302 in a Mustang makes 225.You're already 75 HP closer to your goal.

A 429 will bolt right in place of an M.Basic upgrades will get it around 400 HP for under $1,000.It would takes thousands to realistically get that out of a 400.Anybody that tells you it won't is full of it.

People dont like to hear that about their engines,but it's the truth.Yes,I have a 400 in my truck.It runs good for what it is,but if I wanted more power I would dump it in a second.

#5 Bear76

Bear76

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

I disagree. About 80% of the parts available for the Cleveland engines will work on this motor. Before you make any decisions, please shop around some. Try Tmeyer, Inc. for starters. I have a 400M that is putting out about 390 RWHP on my '79. I still have the stock heads with very little work done to them (they have 2.05 valves stock!). Mostly I did a lot of researching. Besides, whenever you try to make horsepower, it is always going to cost you money. Do what you want, it's your truck, but I am very happy with my 400. All the Ford boys around me are running 460's, to them that is the only way. I keep up with them for the most part, except for the one with the 8:71 BDS blower that is.

Hope you can make some use out of my ramblings. Have fun either way.
Build it.
Beat on it.
Break it.
Build it better.

P.S. Starting fliud is NOT a viable alternative to nitrous.

#6 Bear76

Bear76

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

On a side note. The main reason I stuck with my 400M is the simple fact that I couldn't find a cheap used 460. My Pappy aways told me it is cheaper to stick with stock, and while this isn't always true, it does work. I mean I had the whole engine, all the parts, just had to buy some new parts and away I went. I don't regret my choice too much anyhow.
Build it.
Beat on it.
Break it.
Build it better.

P.S. Starting fliud is NOT a viable alternative to nitrous.

#7 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:09 AM

ford produced a 400 before the 351m came out.an early 70's 400 was a pretty mean motor stock.

#8 Max666

Max666

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:33 AM

Our 400 came out of a 74 if i remember correct. we have no work done to it other than some small tuning and were at 290 hp. Ive found a dual plane intake and a 600 cfm carb for it my buddy is a engine mechanic and said those two pieces together should put it over 350hp. I have ordered a 278 cam aswell with some cleveland heads does any 1 have around the same setup? if so please contact me a sound clip of the engine running would be nice. Its loud already with sraight pipes but i am wondering what the intake carb cam and ehads are gonna play a part in it.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users