#2 freeto4wheel

freeto4wheel

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:00 AM

I was wondering if anyone has put a diesel motor in the 73 to79 trucks

its not to bad if you have a 4 spd truck the old t18 and t19 bell housing moves right over all you really need to do is run the wire for the fuel shut off at the injection pump and run a wire for the timer box for the glow plugs and your in buisness besides you also need a return line to the tank from injector return few odds and ends but if you have a good donor truck it can be done pretty easy my old 1979 f250 4x4 had a 6.9 with a banks sidewinder t18 trans np 205 with 410 gears ran like a champ

#3 John R

John R

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

I was wondering if anyone has put a diesel motor in the 73 to79 trucks

as a matter of fact, I installed Diesel engines in my 2 Ford F 250 1976 Double cab Project pickup's, in order to avoid the engine/transmission mod. I installed in one of them a 4cyl Mercedes Diesel engine including the 5 speed ZF gearbox. In the other one a 6 cyl Mercedes Diesel engine also with the 5 speed ZF gear box. Since I have divorced NP 205's I needed to do a prop. shaft conversion. In addition I had to do a Body lift of 4 inch to clear the valve covers from the hood. Since they are high Boys it looks even better now. The electric part was completely rebuild using Painless wiring kits, also the necc. Instruments were added. The merc Diesels are from Unimogs with the same vintage but completly blueprinted in order to get the best out of them. The 6 cylinder was a little bit to long so I had to modify the firewall to accomodate 2 cylinders inside the cab. I am on the pair since 10 years and hopefully will complete them this Year, although booth are in driving condition. Conversions and groud up restoration is taking time, so it is posible. Good luck to your project. Regards [email protected]

#4 BlackFord77

BlackFord77

BlackFordTruck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Why diesel? The blocks are luncky and the horsepower is lagging short of injection or turbos, not to mention some turbos have a high failure rate making them expensive. Might as well have a supercharged gas motor that'll handle the ethanol nicely, but when it comes to power it's really all about the gears.

#5 91f250lariat

91f250lariat

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1955

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:32 AM

fordcummins.com offers a conversion kit. Im lookin for a 4 door cab to get my fordcummins started right now.

#6 lostin90s

lostin90s

old part is good part s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Wrecking yards , my kids , places with no cell phone service, and Centurion F150 crew cabs

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

The reason to do deisel . Well double MPG, They haul just fine . The none electric Cummings can be a power house when played with
Parts is parts

#7 91f250lariat

91f250lariat

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1955

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

Diesel motors are a twice the investment at first (mabye) but if maintained well can last literally 10x as long as a comparable gas motor. Plus the fact that they are lower maintenance, easier to tow with, and they increase the value of your vehicle and hold the value better. For example I have a 95 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins manual tranny, 4x4, etc. with about 140000 on it. The current market value for the truck is somewhere between 6000 and 8000 dollars depending on where I try to sell it. A comparable gas truck is somewhere around 3 or 4 with lower miles. And i regularly pull 17-20mpg everywhere I go (and diesel is cheaper than regular at most gas stations). Theres no downside to diesel anywhere I look.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users