#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

mat- depending on your budget, do you plan on restoring it or just for a daily driver.

#3 jtl4482

jtl4482

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

Any ideas on what to do with it its my first truck

what kind of shape is it in? I like seeing these trucks looking sharp and clean even though i dont have 1 like that yet. I have a 77 f150 2wd 400 c6 a/c cruise and i intend to make it as clean and comfy as if i went to ford the day it was made. With a few upgrdes of course. i don't want the wife to say
"Guh i have to ride in that rusty old dirty thing?"

You could do some good power work to it and keep it a chameleon so that when yer at a light and the kid next to u in the loud subaru thinks it's a junker...You blow him away! Let me know what you decide.
jtl4482

#4 Matthew

Matthew

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

mat- depending on your budget, do you plan on restoring it or just for a daily driver.

Its my first vehicle and it'll be a daily driver.
78 ford f-150 custom 2wd/ first truck

#5 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

what kind of shape is it in? I like seeing these trucks looking sharp and clean even though i dont have 1 like that yet. I have a 77 f150 2wd 400 c6 a/c cruise and i intend to make it as clean and comfy as if i went to ford the day it was made. With a few upgrdes of course. i don't want the wife to say
"Guh i have to ride in that rusty old dirty thing?"

You could do some good power work to it and keep it a chameleon so that when yer at a light and the kid next to u in the loud subaru thinks it's a junker...You blow him away! Let me know what you decide.
jtl4482

Right now its got rust and its got a 302 roller engine from a mustang so she sounds nice, ummm... it needs carpet the seats in the old fords were always comfy its white and has a pro net not a tailgate. Its automatic and i dont know if the a/c works. I will the blow that junky suburo away.

#6 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

mat- here are some ideas depending on your budget, i would try to fix the rust with new metal and a nice new paint job, (if you do it, do it right the first time). and on the interior i would install new carpet but pull up the old carpet first and check the floor pans and reupholster the seat. i would also clean, paint the engine and keep the a/c. (might want to update to R-134). here are some websites to checkout. jeffsbroncograveyard.com, nationalpartsdepot.com, lmctruck.com, and paddock.com. hope this helps a little.

#7 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

mat- here are some ideas depending on your budget, i would try to fix the rust with new metal and a nice new paint job, (if you do it, do it right the first time). and on the interior i would install new carpet but pull up the old carpet first and check the floor pans and reupholster the seat. i would also clean, paint the engine and keep the a/c. (might want to update to R-134). here are some websites to checkout. jeffsbroncograveyard.com, nationalpartsdepot.com, lmctruck.com, and paddock.com. hope this helps a little.

Thanks ive been on lmc and i ordered there catalog, I'm getting carpet for it and I'm repainting everything, i saw the headlight upgrades and wanted to ask chrome buckets/ black buckets, 78 headlight style/ 79 headlight style?

#8 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

(chrome/black buckets) are you referring to the headlight doors? what is on there now?

#9 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

(chrome/black buckets) are you referring to the headlight doors? what is on there now?

Right now we have black headlights buckets do you think we should get chrome/ also 78 headlight style or 79 headlight style

#10 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:01 AM

on my 78, i have round headlights with the black buckets and my 79 is all chrome. me personally i like the one with the black buckets because it gives a good contrast between the headlight and chrome grille. (just my opinion). as with the shape of headlight, try to find pics of both vehicles. (should be pics on this forum) its all in matter of taste.

#11 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:13 AM

on my 78, i have round headlights with the black buckets and my 79 is all chrome. me personally i like the one with the black buckets because it gives a good contrast between the headlight and chrome grille. (just my opinion). as with the shape of headlight, try to find pics of both vehicles. (should be pics on this forum) its all in matter of taste.

I like the round headlights better than the square, and my truck already has the black buckets so thanks, now its 2wd but i think a lift would look better on it. What do you think?

#12 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

glad i could help. as far as the decision about the lift, if you like the look of the taller stance, go for it. i have never done a 2wd lift but it shouldnt be no harder than lifting a 4wd.(not all lifted trucks have to be 4wd if its to be used as cruisin around, right?) i know superlift used to sell lifts for 2wd fords for the 80-96 trucks but i dont know about the 73-79 trucks. check there website among others such as skyjacker and rough country.

#13 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:54 AM

glad i could help. as far as the decision about the lift, if you like the look of the taller stance, go for it. i have never done a 2wd lift but it shouldnt be no harder than lifting a 4wd.(not all lifted trucks have to be 4wd if its to be used as cruisin around, right?) i know superlift used to sell lifts for 2wd fords for the 80-96 trucks but i dont know about the 73-79 trucks. check there website among others such as skyjacker and rough country.

Thanks for all the help i'll post a picture of before and after shots(it will be a while). It should look good

#14 oiasds

oiasds

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

glad i could help. as far as the decision about the lift, if you like the look of the taller stance, go for it. i have never done a 2wd lift but it shouldnt be no harder than lifting a 4wd.(not all lifted trucks have to be 4wd if its to be used as cruisin around, right?) i know superlift used to sell lifts for 2wd fords for the 80-96 trucks but i dont know about the 73-79 trucks. check there website among others such as skyjacker and rough country.Thanks for all the help i'll post a picture of before and after shots(it will be a while). It should look good

#15 91sho

91sho

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

i got round lights with light covers and all my lenses smoked. i dont know how to make an album to show marker and tails. its a cheap upgrade ,takes alot of prep work, but cheap. my profile pic show front.

#16 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:59 AM

i got round lights with light covers and all my lenses smoked. i dont know how to make an album to show marker and tails. its a cheap upgrade ,takes alot of prep work, but cheap. my profile pic show front.

We found new problems with the truck. It had an old cheap bed liner in it when we bought it and we wanted to take it out. So we did and not to our surprise but the bed had 2 rust spots that had fallen through. Right now she wont start but thats just the carburater. Were going to clean it out today. Im sticking with the round headlights with black buckets i think it looks better. Chrome is good but you can have too much. We are getting new carpet because i like my trucks looking nice. I've decided what's the point in lifting a 2 wheel drive truck. It doesn't have a tailgate but has a pro net, i'm wondering if i should get a tailgate but they are $300. So... I wouldn't think that this post would still be up i haven't been on in months but write back ill be on every day from now on.

#17 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

mat- never been a big fan of the bedliner (collects moisture). good call on the chrome, sometimes you can have too much. if you decide to get a tailgate, get a good one.

#18 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:14 AM

Yeah same here i might get a rhyno spray on lining just to spruce it up a bit. And i'm probably gonna stick with the pro net why waste 300 bucks on something i dont need?

#19 papertiger00

papertiger00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

just to let you know the tail gate will give you better gas mileage. mythbusters and other have shown they work better but if that is not a big deal stick with the back net. one of the best things you can do to clean out the carb/intake/pistons is to run seafoam cleaner thru it. get it running and slowly pour about half the can in a little at a time to keep it running. then when about 1/2 to 1/3 left in the can dump it is let it kill the engine. let it sit overnight if you can this will clean the intake and the pistons. when you go to start it it will take a little time but once it starts i will warn you that it will smoke like hell for awhile. my last truck it smoked for 45minutes before i ran it around town to blow the rest out. the smoke it the build up of junk that it is blowing out. this stuff will also give better gas mileage if you do it once every couple of months. may not do much for carb but cleans everythign else out great. my old 302 was heavily modded and i got 4 mpg until i ran that thru then i got about 6-7 miles a gallon so its worth the 5 bucks it cost to do it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users