F-350 causeing spine damage....

2 replies to this topic

#1 RustyNailHead

RustyNailHead

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hey I got an 88 f-350 super cab, with a utility box on the back. 460 motor, dont know the transmission model# 5 speed 5th od 1st granny (bought last week to replace e-150 cargo) 4 wheel drive. I drive 40 to 150 miles a day, mostly in bumper to bumper traffic. The truck is awsome, tons of power, miles of space, (not light at the pump but i expected that with the 460) The only problem is since i started driveing it, Iv started walking lopsided, left leg moves a little slower than the right.
Well I found an c-6 transmission on craigslist. Toying with the idea of swaping in an auto...Wont be weeling in it, need an commuter. Anybody had any experience doing this? Whats involved, Pros/ Cons? The c-6 came off an 351, similar bolt/ bell housing? mount points, transfer case? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

#2 RustyNailHead

RustyNailHead

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:39 AM

Yeah I know. Swaping in an auto is crazy, but. The current transmission is perfectly suited for this truck. Be cool to get her the mud one of these days. But she's all work truck.

#3 lostin90s

lostin90s

old part is good part s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Wrecking yards , my kids , places with no cell phone service, and Centurion F150 crew cabs

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

I can feel your pain. The 5 spd clutch r usually not that hard to push. But yours being a 88 . If its carbed Motor you will need trans ,driveshaft,shift linkages , And possible crossmember from a 460 truck .

It your driver like u said . You'll miss the 3-4 extra MPG the 5 spd gives. At least thats what the c6 460 combo I had improved with manual conversion.

Later bud
Parts is parts

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users