5 replies to this topic

#1 76_Iron_Giant

76_Iron_Giant

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1976

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

i have a 79 f150 explorer edition, it has a 460 in it with a c6 behind it, the problem i have is that it won't go into gear, it'll go into reverse fine without a problem and reacts to gas, but when i put it into drive it doesn't react to gas, it just idles and slowly creeps along regardless of the amount of gas i give it, i was thinking it was the seal behind the bell housing because it does have a slow leak in that area, but then again i've never messed with a transmission before so any and all advice is welcome

i'm tryin to get rid of it so i was wonderin if anyone had any suggestions as to why its acting like this and a possibly cheap rebuild kit if that's what it requires, or any other form of cheap fix

thanks

Edited by 76_Iron_Giant, 30 September 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

First thing I thought of was band failure. It could be the modulator, but you said it had reverse but you might want to replace it anyway. How's the fluid level?

#3 76_Iron_Giant

76_Iron_Giant

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1976

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

well aside from the leak that is leaking pretty fast, i try to check all the fluid levels every time i start it every now and then, just to keep it running

was trying to avoid replacing the entire thing cause i have heard of this happening to other similiar trucks, didn't think to ask how they fixed it , didn't occur to me that this would happen to my truck

what's your take on a rebuild kit? waste of my time? or a good chance that'll do the trick?

#4 400M

400M

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1979

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:07 AM

might want to look over this site. might have some good informatiomn.

http://c6-c4.com/
1979 Ford F-150 with a 351M regular Cab Rusted Short Bed.
in neeed of a good Short Bed. Help!!!
I know there is no such thing as a 400M, but mine has a modified CAM.

#5 fordtruckman

fordtruckman

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

my guess is your fluid level is getting low and not engauging the clutches in the transmission. going in reverse but not forward is a sign of low fluid or the clutch pack is burned out.

#6 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:25 AM

Chances are the tranny is probably not going to get any better and truckman is right, if the clutches are burned out, the tranny is going to have to be looked at and most likely rebuilt.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users