2 replies to this topic

#1 milscoe

milscoe

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1995

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

1995 F-150, 4wd. 4.9, 5speed overdrive. My dad had the truck, thought the starter went so replaced it. It didn't work so thought the starter was no good, got a replacement put it on still wouldn't work. I have the truck now and I have replaced the flywheel ring, and got a 3rd starter and it still won't work. I turns the engine over but is really noisy, grinding sound. I don't want to keep trying though and screw something up again. Any ideas?

Edited by milscoe, 24 October 2009 - 06:49 PM.

#2 Cpt Sparrow

Cpt Sparrow

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1992

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

1995 F-150, 4wd. 4.9, 5speed overdrive. My dad had the truck, thought the starter went so replaced it. It didn't work so thought the starter was no good, got a replacement put it on still wouldn't work. I have the truck now and I have replaced the flywheel ring, and got a 3rd starter and it still won't work. I turns the engine over but is really noisy, grinding sound. I don't want to keep trying though and screw something up again. Any ideas?

You may need to go to a salvage yard and try another starter or have the original rebuilt or maybe try to shim it

#3 bigblueford

bigblueford

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1986

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

I had a similar problem 1 month ago... My pilot bearing disinerated literally (We found shrapnel inside of the pressure plate which resembled the bearing sort of...) which alllowed the flywheel to wiggle around and make frightening sounds... It also destroyed the starter drive gear... I didnt find the damage til we took the clutch apart thinking the throwout bearing was bad..

Edited by bigblueford, 20 February 2011 - 01:47 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users