1 reply to this topic

#1 akforceten

akforceten

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1972

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:14 AM

here is a link to my photo album of the rebuild of my 1972 4x4 f-250. www.supermotors.net/21939 When the motor took a crap after 37 years of hard service i started doing a motor swap but it turned into a year long project . i ended up replacing all the sheet metal including the cab . i also decided to upgrade to disc brakes and do a power steering conversion that involved some drilling of holes but with no welding and using wrecking yard parts .now i have a work truck that runs an drive good and i can now parallel park i don't notice the power steering driving down the highway to much ,but there's a huge difference at low speeds or when parking. let me know if there are any questions will be happy to share any info you may need

#2 71 F250

71 F250

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1971

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

here is a link to my photo album of the rebuild of my 1972 4x4 f-250. www.supermotors.net/21939 When the motor took a crap after 37 years of hard service i started doing a motor swap but it turned into a year long project . i ended up replacing all the sheet metal including the cab . i also decided to upgrade to disc brakes and do a power steering conversion that involved some drilling of holes but with no welding and using wrecking yard parts .now i have a work truck that runs an drive good and i can now parallel park i don't notice the power steering driving down the highway to much ,but there's a huge difference at low speeds or when parking. let me know if there are any questions will be happy to share any info you may need

Hi akforceten, I have a 71 F250 (duh). I saw your conversion on FTE and am interested in your method as it seems to be economical and doesn't require frame cutting and welding. I know you used a dog PS box, what about the drag link and intermediate shaft. Did you just shorten the Ford intermediate and weld on a universal? Another conversion suggested that they cut the drag link in half, shortened, aligned, and had the drag link rewelded. Rewelding a steering component like that was not acceptable to the shop I talked with, fear of a law suit was mentioned. Having that fail on the road doesn't sound at all good either. You stated that you have been driving yours for years now, that does inspire confidence. Please send me some particulars about intermediate shaft and drag link along with anything else that seems useful. Thanx,Kent

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users