Great Spark!

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_78mojavebronco_*

Guest_78mojavebronco_*

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:26 AM

WHAT A BIG CHANGE. I installed a ready-to-run distributor from MSD. One of the best things I have ever put on my truck. It does away with stock ignition box. The MSD is all self contained including ignition module. three wires to hook up, peice of cake.

part#8350

#2 freak

freak

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:58 AM

Did you get the whole MSD setup including the box as well?You're right,MSD is the only way to go.

http://www.superford...Picture 017.jpg

#3 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:01 AM

:o Hey freak how much did it cost, and how easy is it to hook up?
GOT MUD?

#4 freak

freak

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:19 PM

The distribotor I got is part# MSD-8580(mechanical advance)it's 205.00.The 6AL box is 195.00,the coil is about 35.00 and the MSD RPM module selector is 48.00.So about 500 buck's for everything.The install is pretty simple,the instruction's are very detailed.With this you can eliminate all the duraspark junk,it definetly will clean up the driver's side of your engine compartment.It made a big difference on my motor.

#5 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:52 PM

:D Thanks for the info, I will add that to my long list of stuff to buy for my 78.
GOT MUD?

#6 Guest_78mojavebronco_*

Guest_78mojavebronco_*

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:16 PM

The MSD ready to run distrbutor part #8350 Does away with the dura spark ign.
cost $280.00
coil $30.00
thats it no other parts.
Check out MSD.com

#7 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 04:13 PM

What plugs are you useing or does it matter?
GOT MUD?

#8 freak

freak

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:51 PM

I'm running Champion's,2 heat range's colder than stock.The other's were too hot I was getting some blistering and bit's aluminum off the top of the piston's on the ceramic portion of the plug when I first started tunning my new engine combination.Now everything's good.

#9 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:23 AM

:P Thanks for the info Freak.
GOT MUD?

#10 usmc triggerman

usmc triggerman

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

:P Thanks for the info Freak.

you say it does away with the ignition module on the drivers side i have a 79 and i am wiring up the MSD6 offroad ignition i all so have the MSD distributer and one more ? on the MSD box the main ground do you half to run that to the battery or can that just run to a good ground just asking becase my battery is in the bed

#11 ratgodak47

ratgodak47

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

do yourself a favor and keep the duraspark mounted as a backup. If you installed the 6al control box using the white wire hookup it should be an easy emergency swap back when it fails out in the boonies. also, never run any type of platnum plug, you'll immediately melt the tips and can damage the control box

#12 Bear76

Bear76

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

do yourself a favor and keep the duraspark mounted as a backup. If you installed the 6al control box using the white wire hookup it should be an easy emergency swap back when it fails out in the boonies. also, never run any type of platnum plug, you'll immediately melt the tips and can damage the control box

I never knew that about the platinum tip plugs. I have been having a ton of problems with my truck, all of which has happened since I changed spark plugs. Otherwise I have never had any troubles at all with my MSD set-up. I will have to try that remedy. Where does it state that about the platinum tips, I never say that anywhere in the manual that I remember. I sure hope I did not ruin the control box none. Thanks for the heads up!
Build it.
Beat on it.
Break it.
Build it better.

P.S. Starting fliud is NOT a viable alternative to nitrous.

#13 General

General

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hey guys...first post. I am gettin ready to upgrade my entire ignition as well. I am having a hard time deciding between the MSD and the DUI systems. Anyone have the DUI or first hand opinion of which is better suited.(79 400, 4x4, 4spd, Holley 4bbl and headers/duals) DUI custom curves each dist. for individual applications and MSD is standard for all. I was originally leaning toward MSD, but DUI has me intrigued. Cost is about the same, DUI a few bucks cheaper for everything needed. Any thoughts?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users