Found Something...dunno Where It Goes

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:54 PM

Just finished changing plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, and air filter tonight and along the way I discovered this just hangin there. Posted Image Its coming of the large wire bundle underneath. What does it connect to and what does it do?

#2 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:working on cars and junkyard surfin

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:41 AM

look in side connector and see if its dirty. If it is it goes to an accessory that you dont have or some thing that was removed. If it is clean just look around it and the other end should not be far from that plug. hope it help

looks almost like a spout connector.
Does the bronco run any different since the plugs were changed?
a spout connector has to be removed when timeing is set on computer controled broncs it interupts the competer signal for the timeing advance if the connect or is missing you be stuck with the base timeing and VERY POOR proformance. ill try to get a pic when im workin on my bronc today and ill put it in my gallery if it is the spout there should be a piece of plastic in it that looks kinda like a fuse. that should either answer your question of confuse you :blush:
94 xlt 302 mass air
msd ignition
rebuilt and updated E4OD
warn premium hubs

http://www.supermoto...p?user=94_bronc

#3 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:37 AM

Well since u mentioned it... :lol

The bronc is running poorly...well not terribly but not great either. I'm having a problem with my idle, always wants to die when stopped. I still don't think it's getting the acceleration it should either...feels like your trying to tow something when you accelerate. I've picked up a little pep with all the stuff I did last night but idle is exactly the way it was before all that was done. So I'm at ground zero again. I'm hoping that this plug maybe the cause of some/most of my idle problem but it does not appear to have been hooked up in a while. This doesn't mean that it shouldn't have. The previous owner was a young lad with other priorities. I have looked high and low and cant find anything that it would plug into :angry:

#4 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:09 AM

got a pic in my gallery off the internet but the bz logo is over the spout ill try to get a better one
94 xlt 302 mass air
msd ignition
rebuilt and updated E4OD
warn premium hubs

#5 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:18 AM

oh...since I'm reading around about idle problems....is the IAC the same as the TPS? I'm thinking that one of these is probably more the problem then this loose plug but I'd still like to know what it goes to and what it does.

I was going to clean out my throttle body etc with the seafoam tomorrow night...not exactly sure how to do this but from what I read take off the hoses, have someone in the cab giving some steady but not high gas and feed some seafoam into the intake? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

-J

#6 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:48 AM

okay...did some more reading. The IACV is different from the TPS and it sounds like both are very likely culprits of my current idle problem. My local auto part stores carry them...another hundred bucks drained :angry: Hopefully should run like a champ soon! :)

Please let me know what you can dig up on that wire as I'm at a standstill and wondering what it is

-Joe

#7 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 01:39 PM

b4 you buy a new iac v try cleaning it with carb clearner it the little hole just b4 the throttle blade have it running and spray a little bit in the hole if it dies start it back up and repeat
94 xlt 302 mass air
msd ignition
rebuilt and updated E4OD
warn premium hubs

#8 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:50 PM

check my album i put a pic of my spout in there for you
94 xlt 302 mass air
msd ignition
rebuilt and updated E4OD
warn premium hubs

#9 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:37 AM

okay...ur a little close on that photo...where exactly in the engine bay is that? somewhere near the air filter box I"m assuming since the plug is on that side. I bought a new TPS yesterday and I'm gonna do like you said and try to shoot some carb cleaner up in the IAC. I'm gonna do that first to see how it runs, then measure the voltage on my TPS to see if it needs to be replaced.

#10 bluesman17

bluesman17

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:44 PM

year of you bronco would help mine is a 92 i have the same wire dangling off the bundle of wires for the computer.

#11 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 04:56 PM

mines a 94 that pic was taken of the drivers side pretty much right in the rear corner yours looks closer to the engine than mine i have no wire that close to the oil dip stick except spark plug wires. if you have a shop manual. adjust the tps's refrance volts to as close to 1 volt as you can you may have to open the mounting holes some i had to if you dont know where the tps is it on the bottom side of the
throttle body
94 xlt 302 mass air
msd ignition
rebuilt and updated E4OD
warn premium hubs

#12 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:40 PM

First off...sorry guys, my bronc is a 91. Shoulda got that outta the way first.

So I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in both IAC holes in the throttle body and ran some seafoam down her throat, then took the throttle body off to change out the TPS....big surprise, I have the adjustable one. Naturally the one I bought is not. Well since my meter decided it wasn't gonna cooperate tonight and turn on, I decided I would just clean out the throttle body better for now. So I took off the TB and cleaned the back side as well, especially the hole where the IAC comes thru. After burning my hand with hot coolant and losing one of the little screws for the TB cover, the truck runs much better but the little dip in idle is still present. I have only put 15 miles on it after cleaning it out and putting some seafoam in the intake so maybe it will get a little better. Now the questions;

According to my chiltons it says I can adjust my TPS so the voltage is correct....so naturally, now that I have seen exactly where it is and what it is, I'm scratching my head...how in the sam holy hill do I adjust that while the TB is on??? I'm assuming it needs to stay on so you can get readings at half and full throttle positions. As always, any help is greatly appreciated. Also I've read that people use the seafoam in the vac lines but I have no idea which to take off etc so if you can point me in the right direction there I'd be grateful.

Thread went from a stray wire to idle problems... :))

#13 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

i accually do that seafoam thing at work not exactly sea foam but similar i either use the brake boster vac line or th pcv but we have a aplication tool that keeps us from having a huge vac leak and setting off a check engine light.
94 xlt 302 mass air
msd ignition
rebuilt and updated E4OD
warn premium hubs

#14 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:01 AM

Okay...u might have missed the most important part of my post!! How do I adjust my TPS while the throttle body is on? Or do I?

#15 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:28 AM

to adjust a tps you got to set the refrance voltage to as close to 1 volt as possible.to do this you may have to elonggate the hole one the replacement. i dont remember exactly which 2 wire to check the refrance volts off hand an my repair manual is with my bronco. the reading should go up to about 5 volt at wide open throttle pretty smothly. when you probe the wires do it on the tps side of the connector. no differace in reading, but if you screw up a wire than it easier to replace the tps than the factory wire end

ill look in my manual to night and post the steps tomorrow if you dont have a manual
94 xlt 302 mass air
msd ignition
rebuilt and updated E4OD
warn premium hubs

#16 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:33 AM

I'm thinking some pliers that make a little 90 degree bend but I was concerned if my hand would fit or the plier head fit in that little hole.....I'll try to figure it out.

I think the wires to check are the black and green ones. I taped them with yellow t-taps so I can just insert my probes from my meter easier. The TPS I bought was non adjustable so it gets to go back to the store. I didn't think the adjustable TPS is replaceable?

#17 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:02 AM

when i replaced mine i used a file to open up the holes. the closest i got to one volt was 0.98 i figured that was close enough. most new tps's have one side slotted and one just a straight hole open the straght hole up its onlyplastic so be careful not to split it cause they aren't that cheap as you know
94 xlt 302 mass air
msd ignition
rebuilt and updated E4OD
warn premium hubs

#18 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:07 AM

hmmm....my tps only has one hole. its a little smaller then a dime I would guess. I'm going to pick up a meter this evening and a curved set of pliers and give it a whirl...

I did take it off the TB with the two crews that were securing it....but half stayed on the TB (looks like inside it) and the part with the hole came off?

#19 Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Guest_Bronco_Huey_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:07 AM

just cuz I'm impatient I ran out and returned my non adjustable TPS and picked up a meter. 1.43 at idle. Now gotta find something to adjust that thing with... :wacko:

I bet there is some special ford tool <_< or maybe I'm the tool :lol:

#20 94_bronc

94_bronc

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

http://www.budgetper...m/articles/iab/
take a look at this it a mustang but its the same basic thing
94 xlt 302 mass air