Exhaust (again)

32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:12 AM

I about ready to pop for my exhaust system. I'm looking at the Dynomax blackjack headers from summitracing.com, simply because of the great price (119 for my 351w). I want a nice deep growl, but not that loud snap. What's the best muffler for my application? Keep in mind I want to keep the price reasonable too. I was thinking something glass packed, but then I wondered if the headers and glasspacks might not be obnoxiously loud and not give me the sound I want. I'm dropping the cats...should I go with a H pipe that being said?

#2 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:17 AM

ummm you may want to check into your local laws first before you go with a drastic change like that. some places dont allow glasspacks. and others require cats. so if you want to keep your rig legal i wold check first. than like i said befre i would go with flowmasters. great deep throaty sound that everyone loves from a V-8

#3 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:38 AM

My county does not do emmisions testing. I know the cats thing is semi illegal, but unless its obnoxiously lound they wont look. Which flowmaster muffler do you like? There's a few diff. models I've been looking at.

#4 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:40 AM

i am actually drawing a blank. i cant remember which ones i got. but it really doesnt matter it depends on what you want. read the descriptions and it will tell you the differences inthe sound and performance. either way it will last you along time and they all have that great rumbling sound. it really depends on the size of the exhaust piping you are going to use. and i myself have the hedman headers but headers are headers really the difference in them are basically the corrosion resistance. then i went with the true dual with custom piping to go over my t case (you need the 3'' body lift to do it) then the piping goes right back and the tips exit behind the rear tires to the side. oh and i even retained the cats eventhough my rig is over 20 years old and is exempt from emissions testing. they are a good sound dampner because even with the cats my family says it sounds like something blew up everytime i start it. and i love revving it up. you cant hear crap when i rev my beast up.

#5 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:39 AM

Do you have a shot of what the truck looks like from the side? I dont have a body lift, so i'm assuming that's where mine need to exit, but I'm hesitant to bring them out in front of the rear axle because i've never seen it.

#6 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

i dont have a side shot but i have an underneath shot which i took to show justshootme where i ran the piping over the t case. if you dont want the lift you can run both pipes on the passenger side to clear the t case but then you lose the dual exhaust look because now they both come out one side still. anyway here is the under shot to show the piping route. you can even see the cats still.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture5.jpg

#7 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

oh yeah and that is also 3'' piping

#8 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:24 AM

S B) ..you mean that they cant poke out one on either side of the truck without that lift?

Edited by Justshootme84, 25 May 2004 - 08:31 PM.

#9 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:55 PM

If you don't hav a lift, there isn't enough room to go the route Gunner shows. I had duals but both were run down the passenger side to clear the Tcase and then the driver side pipe was crossed back over, them muffler and out the driver side for the look. It had Flowmasters which give you a choice based on what type sound you want. they were really throaty, nice sound.

I'm back to stock now due to making it emissions legal, but the stock dual tip muffler gets almost the same sound.

Good Luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#10 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:39 PM

FlyFshin, check out my post on exhaust, too. I am looking at new options, and it looks like Gunner has a decent solution to the t-case getting in the way of true duals. Freak also has a custom system, routed under the t-case. I'm still looking at other rigs and their set-up. But, I am not of fan of body lifts and my Bronco is tall enough now. I can tell you that headers and glasspacks will be very loud, but that is the sound I want on my Bronco as my 85 Chevy K10 is setup that way. I currently have stock manifolds, a single cat and a single Flowmaster 40 series with dual exits behind the right tire. It has a nice tone, like a deep hum. About the same as the tire howl from the 35" MT's. The Chevy, on the other hand, you can hear it coming a mile away!!!
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#11 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:02 AM

If you plan doing off roading I wouldn't suggest under the tcase. That puts them at high risk of being snagged on rocks or even ripped off. :)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#12 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:23 AM

exzackery. thats why i went with the body lift and ran it over the already protected t case.

#13 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:29 AM

I think I may try routing them down the pass. side of the truck, and bringing one back over to the driver side before they exit. Thoughts? I know it's going to be more expensive, but I dont want them both to exit at one point, and I dont want to lift my truck up...people have trouble getting in as it is (mainly my gf).

#14 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:30 AM

Has anyone ever tried cutting a half circle in the bottom of the bumper to smooth out the look of the pipes exiting the rear?

#15 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:33 PM

Mine went out the side just behind the tires. A lot of pipe bending to get around the xfer case. You might have a shop do it for you if that is within your budget. A bit of work no matter whichway you go.

good luck,

:)>-

#16 Guest_jfrbronco_*

Guest_jfrbronco_*

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:41 PM

be careful when buying cheaper headers, they tend to rust out real quick! I tried a pair of hedman for jegs and lasted only a year before I got a lot of rust holes.Must admit I do alot of water crossing and snow up here in mass. Good luck! JFR-

#17 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:26 AM

I think I may try routing them down the pass. side of the truck, and bringing one back over to the driver side before they exit. Thoughts? I know it's going to be more expensive, but I dont want them both to exit at one point, and I dont want to lift my truck up...people have trouble getting in as it is (mainly my gf).

that will be a long route to have the exhaust traveling i am not to sure that is a good idea. by the time it exits the exhaust pipe it will be cold and really dense causing alot of back pressure.

#18 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:35 AM

How about this. I run the headers into one big ass pipe. say 4 inches. After it passes the transfer case, I split it off into 2 2.25" pipes and take it back. That would solve the whole problem eh?

#19 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:47 AM

you can do something along that line but that wouldnt be a true dual exhaust which is what i thought you were going for. true dual exhaust is two seperate pipes all the way back. the sound will still be different.

#20 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:08 AM

I know, but my options either seem to be that and getting close to true duals or jacking up my truck for true duals. I'm not jacking it up.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users