32 replies to this topic

#21 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:10 AM

Run them both down the passengers side. Then bring your Passengers side pipe over to the drivers side exit. This will keep both pipes close to the same length, since your driver side pipe crosses over to the passengers side under the oil pan. You want to keep both pipes as close to the same length as possible, with as few bends as possible. Glass Paks will give you the "popping sound" that you said you don't want. Flow Masters will actually give you better sound and more power. Get the bumper clamps from the muffler shop, if you cut your bumper, the chrome will start flaking, then rust. If you can afford it keep the CATs. Remember the last time you were sitting at a red light breathing the guy in front of you exhaust fumes? :wacko: Besides, Emmission testing or not ...removing you CATs is illegal in every state.

The 3" body lift is the best route though, and can be hidden with 33" tires if you are still running the stock 31's.

Also, Flow Master makes a 3 chamber 3" in dual 2.5" outs, if you want to go that route.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#22 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:35 PM

The problem I see with the 4" single collector pipe is that you will have very little or no backpressure. Good for highend RPM's, but you will lose lowend HP and torque. Just adding headers will do that to some extent. I'm like you and still looking for a setup that I can live with.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#23 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:12 AM

If I go with a smaller (than 4") collector pipe, that should keep my backpressure up, yes? Say 3"?

#24 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:10 AM

Your stock setup should have a 2 into 1 collector(Not a "y" pipe, a box type deal), that goes into a 3.5" pipe, then into the CAT, then 3" out of the CAT.

If you decide to not go with TRUE duals...this Cat forward system will be fine, and save you some money. Then use the single in, dual out Flow Master.

Nothing beats the sound of full length headers, but there are shorties that will bolt up to your existing exhaust.

If you don't have this setup on your truck...ask around, someone will probably give you theirs.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#25 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I was reading on the 'net that you can hook shorties up to the stock exhaust. Unfortunate that the shorty headers are so much more than the full length.

#26 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:55 PM

If you go into a single pipe, you will not have to go that big. The volume capacity of a 3 inch pipe should be well able to handle it. When you double size,you quadruple volume.

Good luck,
:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#27 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:46 PM

Summit Racing has some shortie headers that some folks are using. They're not too expensive, and do bolt up to the stock y-pipe and cat. Only problem I've heard of with those is changing spark plugs will be a bear. :angry:
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#28 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:17 AM

I cant' find shorty headers for my truck on summit's site. I see them for teh 5 litre, but that wont fit my 5.8 will it?

#29 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:55 AM

NO. They will bolt up to your heads, but interfere with the firewall on the passengers side....If you dont mind beating your fire wall in a little to eliminate the rattle, they will fit.

Call Summit direct ....they have our shorties in stock, or can get them. Don't go with the equal length if you don't want to spend all day changing #4 sparkplug. That is the only one that is really difficult. A long wobble extension and an universal will get the others with ease.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#30 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:55 PM

Fly with the cats it is a Federal law that they are on the truck unless it is for off road only purposes only one option that you can look at is high flow cats .. as for the exhust size stock pipe is 2" at the tail pipe with 2.25 I beleive coming off the manifold.. Talking a month ago to E&Q muffler there in marquette the only recomended putting a 2.5" exhust on it that will keep the back pressure up and provide max exhust flow for the motor any bigger then that reduces the back pressure and doen't help with the engine breathing any more then 2.5" .. Michigan does not have a inspection for cat converters but if for some reason a officer pulls you over and looks I think kthere is a pretty hefty fine for not having them. hefty enough that the high flow cats are well worthit .. when I bought my bronco it had no cats on it .. and moving here to texas no emitions but still an inspection to soo if all emittion still there mean I have to go put a good exhust on it with in the next few months.. for a single exhust with high flow converter I was looking at $400 abouts .. and that was a single converter 2.5" pipes and a flow master muffler.. that was price from E&Q and from Cliffs..

#31 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:46 PM

Ok, well for now I decided to leave the stock collector on and pull off the stock manifolds and replace with shorty (not equal length) headers. I'm still replacing the plugs when I pull the manifolds. I also ordered the flowmaster Delta 50 series, 3" single inlet, dual 2.5 outlets. All for around 300 bucks. I hope it has some snort.

#32 dicain

dicain

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:02 PM

is your truck EFI? if it is you need the h pipe to mount the O2 sensor. As for the flow master I have them and if you don't like to hear your radio they are great!

#33 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:37 AM

I dont think hearing my radio will be a problem. 30" of subwoofer, 2x400W kickers...nope, I'm good!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users